Rocket Blast Off Competition
Mission: To design and build a rocket that will travel as far as possible (they will
Prize for furthest distance travelled by a rocket
Prize for the best artistic design
Build at home – you will need an empty fizzy drinks bottle.
Design – Add features like a nose cone to help your rocket fly.
Please ensure you read the rules below VERY carefully.
Launch with us:
Bring to one of these launch events:
Saturday 4th October: Gorebridge library, 10am – 12 noon
Saturday 4th October: Mayfield Library, 2pm – 4pm
Saturday 11th October: Lasswade Centre 12noon – 2pm
Friday 17th October: Glencourse Centre, 10am – 12 noon
Friday 17th October: Danderhall Library, 2pm – 4pm
Failure to follow the rules may result in the organisers refusing to launch your rocket for safety reasons.
Participants take part in the event at their own risk.
- Only plastic FIZZY drinks bottles may be used as these are designed to withstand pressure. Glass bottles or those from still drinks etc are NOT safe to launch.
- Please use a bottle that is less than 6 months old and free from damage.
- Do NOT attach anything to neck (screw top end) of the bottle. Leave 7.5cm clear for attachment of launcher. (Fins may extend downwards to this level, but should not be attached to the neck)
- Do not puncture, damage or weaken the plastic bottle while decorating. Packing tape and PVA (white) glue is highly recommend. Hot Glue guns are NOT suitable, and please be careful with other glues, solvents or paints that may damage the plastic.
- Do NOT use the following materials to construct you rocket: metal; glass; hard plastics; spikes; antennas of any kind; rocks or any other sharp objects
- All rockets will be safety checked before launch. Organisers may refuse to launch a rocket if they consider it unsafe. The organiser’s decision is final.
- Rockets will only be launched ONCE as the flight and landing can damage the bottle
- All rocket launches are subject to weather conditions.
Launching rockets in WIND and FOG can be dangerous.
Rocket launches may be cancelled at the last minute due to adverse weather conditions.
If in doubt, please contact the launch venue directly.
** We will still launch rockets on rainy days